Location: Oversight of California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska and Hawaii. (Ideally, candidates will live in California.)
The Corps Excellence Regional Manager for Report for America is a critical position within the organization. This manager is charged with overseeing the running of the program on a regional level from the perspective of the emerging journalists and the newsrooms that employ them. This position covers the western U.S., which encompasses Report for America’s newsroom partners and corps members in California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska and Hawaii.
This position will report directly to the RFA Director of Corps and Newsroom Excellence.
The position is remote, but the Regional Manager will be expected to live in the region, ideally in California. Some travel is required. The salary for this position is $89,000 annually. We also offer great benefits and an excellent working environment!
Essential responsibilities and duties:
- Ensure that corps members are creating high quality journalism within the parameters of their beat and that they have a meaningful, positive experience in the program.
- Ensure that newsrooms are satisfied with the work of their journalist(s) and the RFA program.
- Counsel and advise corps members on how to interact with their editors, their beats and their communities.
- Work with all host news organizations to ensure they follow Report for America program values, mission and procedures.
- Conduct regular check-ins with newsrooms and corps members.
- Assist the VP of Recruitment and Alumni Engagement in identifying potential newsroom partners.
- Support partnerships with universities, journalism groups and other outlets to develop corps member opportunities.
- Deliver weekly updates about corps members and newsrooms in your region.
- Work with the Impact and Evaluation Manager to evaluate the corps members’ and news organizations’ progress and satisfaction.
- Work with the VP of Program Development to ensure professional development for the corps members.
- Evaluate and interview newsroom and corps member candidates for participation in the program.
- Work with Service Projects Manager on helping corps members identify service project partners and execute projects in a timely manner.
- Oversee Advisory Corps Council and support them with their goals.
This job description reflects essential functions of the Regional Manager, Corps Excellence position for Report for America. It does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned for this position. A shift in the roles and responsibilities of this specific position or in the strategic needs of the organization may result in this job description changing. All changes will be made in consultation with the employee.
Desired skill set:
- Seasoned news professional with 10 or more years in the journalism industry, including a minimum of 7 years as a manager.
- Quality problem solver capable of coaching a diverse workforce.
- Effective communicator with experience interacting and negotiating with newsroom and industry leaders.
- Proven ability to evaluate, hire and mentor journalists.
- Steward of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiatives, including visible signs of commitment to all of these issues.
- Fluency in Spanish is strongly desired.
The GroundTruth Project is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We encourage diverse candidates to apply.