Are you ready to make a real impact in the world of journalism and our democracy? At Report for America, we're on a mission to rebuild local news in the U.S. by supporting the journalists and newsrooms that produce local news and the communities that depend on it. We're a dynamic nonprofit dedicated to nurturing the next generation of journalists and helping local newsrooms become more financially stable. We’re an initiative of The GroundTruth Project, an award-winning, independent, nonpartisan, nonprofit news organization.
Report for America is changing the game in local newsrooms across the nation as America’s first service organization for reporting. We address the crisis in local news by placing talented early career journalists in newsrooms to cover under-reported topics and communities. We don't stop there – we also provide financial support, covering up to half of these journalists' salaries. And we teach local newsrooms how to secure ongoing support from local donors, acting as their free fiscal sponsor when needed. Our impact speaks volumes: we've already supported over 600 reporters in 340 local newsrooms, spanning every state, D.C., Guam, and Puerto Rico. We’ve helped newsrooms raise $22 million locally and we’ve invested $19 million in salary support. Our ultimate goal? Ensuring that residents of every county in America have consistent access to top-notch local news.
We're seeking a Director of Local Sustainability to join our team. This is more than just a job; it's a chance to make a lasting difference in one of our organization’s highest priorities - supporting the financial stability and viability of newsrooms during a massive industry change. In this 100% remote position, you'll report to the Vice President of Program Development and be rewarded with a competitive salary, fantastic benefits, and a dynamic work environment.
What You’ll Do:
- Craft and execute a comprehensive strategy for local sustainability as we continue to expand
- Lead, inspire, and manage our local sustainability team with finesse
- Equip local newsrooms with the skills to secure funding from local philanthropic sources (foundations, individuals, corporations) to sustain Report for America reporting positions
- Develop a growth strategy for our Community News Funds
- Collaborate seamlessly with other members of the Report for America team to provide cohesive support to newsrooms
- Collaborate with The GroundTruth team to garner support for Report for America and align with GroundTruth's development strategy
- Represent Report for America at events and occasionally travel nationally (approximately 20-25% of the time)
What You’ll Bring:
- Bachelor's Degree (preferred)
- 7+ years of experience in nonprofit development, media, and/or philanthropy
- Proven experience in training or teaching, particularly in advancing local fundraising efforts for news organizations
- A deep passion for and understanding of the importance of local journalism
- Exceptional communication skills, organizational prowess, and natural leadership qualities
- The ability to envision long-term strategies and collaborate on future opportunities and needs
- Willingness to travel nationally up to 20-25% of the time
Salary Range: $110,000 - $115,000
Join us in reshaping the future of local journalism! If you're ready to lead, inspire, and drive change, we want to hear from you. Apply now and become a crucial part of the Report for America mission!
The GroundTruth Project and Report for America is an equal opportunity employer and consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, gender, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, or any other protected factor.
The GroundTruth Project and Report for America believes in fair and equitable pay. Please note that actual salaries may vary within the range, or be above or below the range, based on factors including, but not limited to, education, training, experience, professional achievement, business need, and location.